Easter Seals Project ACTION’s Driving Change in Accessible Transportation Online Dialogue
In 2011, Easter Seals Project ACTION hosted an online dialogue where Mobility Planning Services (MPS) and Accessible Transportation Coalitions Initiative (ATCI) participants had the opportunity to discuss their communities’ stories and strategies for expanding accessible transportation options at the local level. They discussed human service transportation coordination, outreach and education, public involvement and policy change, addressing environmental barriers, and other transportation solutions.
Questions that ESPA asked participants:
- What accessible transportation issues were at the core of your improvement efforts?
- How did the planning process and work of the Easter Seals Project ACTION staff contribute to your efforts?
- What methods and strategies have been used by your community to expand accessible transportation services?
- What examples can you share that illustrate how the lives of people with disabilities have improved as your community has worked to expand accessible transportation services?
- What barriers have you encountered in your work to expand accessible transportation?
- What recommendations do you have for the Federal Transit Administration and Easter Seals Project ACTION for future systems change efforts?
As a result of this dialogue, ESPA produced the Mobility Planning Services Retrospective which detailed the accomplishments of a sampling of MPS and ATCI teams from 2001 to 2010. This information is helpful for other organizations seeking to expand accessible transportation in their communities.