October 23, 2013
The difficult economy has affected people across the country in every community. Between job losses and underemployment, reduced income to support households has impacted a significant percentage of the population. Unfortunately, massive unemployment has been the reality for the disability community long preceding the economic downturn. While the national unemployment rate holds steady at around 7.4%, unemployment among people with disabilities has risen from 13.3% a year ago to 14.7% today. When evaluating unemployment based on the number of adults with disabilities who have never entered the workforce or who have been out of work for a significant number of years, this percentage approaches 70%.
Photo: U.S. DOL’s 2013
National Disability Employment
Awareness Month Poster.
Full version available on ODEP website.
Transportation is a key component for ensuring people with disabilities can effectively participate in the workforce. In this webinar, Easter Seals Project ACTION staff and guest presenters discussed the implications of transportation challenges for employment and shared information on a variety of solutions including government interventions, coordinated services, and alternative service delivery models.
- Advocates seeking to improve employment opportunities
- Vocational rehabilitation counselors
- Public transportation service providers
- Human service transportation providers
- Workforce development specialists
What will you learn?
This webinar addresses:
- Transportation barriers for people with disabilities in accessing employment
- Research findings on the impact of transportation for people who are blind or have low vision in seeking and maintaining employment
- Solutions for improving employment-related transportation
- Krystian Boreyko, training and technical assistance specialist, Easter Seals Project ACTION
- Adele Crudden, Professor, National Research and Training Center on Blindness and Low Vision, Mississippi State University
- Crystal Odom, Assistant National Director of the Senior Community Service Employment Program, Easter Seals
Event Powerpoint Presenation
Additional Resources coming soon